Friday, April 6, 2012

Painting cabinets

Painting cabinets is the cheapest remodel you can do.  Yes, you can do it!  It does take time and patience. My very first project was my kitchen in my first house.  Anything was better than the 1970's walnut builder grade kitchen cabinets.  I'd show you a picture, but its on my old PC (which is in a box still in the basement, I guess some day we'll finish unpacking).  Then I painted the Hoosier which is  posted.  And before we put the house on the market, I painted the kids' and the Master bath cabinets. My realtor thought we bought them.  What a compliment.
How I did it.  First I cleaned them with a degreaser.  For the kitchen, I had to putty hardware holes. Second, lightly sand with a fine grit paper.  Third, paint with a primer, I like Zinsser stain blocking.  I used two coats, but the kitchen took three.  Fourth, paint with you color of choice with a satin or semi-gloss paint.  I use Behr paint.  And finally add new hardware.  I use quality brushes and a mini sponge roller.
Master Bath 
Behr paint, cottage white

Kid's Bath
Satin paint leftover from project
Pittsburgh black
Trista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, have a blessed day!